Thursday, April 19, 2012

I love my dorm !




Hey Guys,

     My favorite physical space on campus is my dorm "Drackett Tower". It is located on the northern campus of Ohio State. The dorm is very big and orderly. I like this place not only because it's my home, but because of the diversity of people and personalities. I am not exactly sure as to when the building was built, but it seems to be somewhat old. It's very similar to the other dorms on the street because their structures are the same. On the outside you can't see the uniqueness of the building because it is on the inside. Yes, I am biased because I love my dorm. Inside there are 12 flights of stairs and a lounge area with a piano and ping pong table. Coming to Drackett all the dorms were the same until students moved the furniture and made it accommodate their liking. Drackett is also a freshman only dorm, which means that we are all new to the campus and experiencing our first year. This makes the ice a little easier to break because everyone is similar in status. Now I am not saying that everyone is the exact same because we are very different physically and mentally. The intended function of a dorm is to be our home and security blanket, just like our other home in our hometowns. Although this is true,  it is also a world inside a world because we do more than eat and sleep here. We socialize, network, laugh, cry, and play.  I enjoy being in the comfort of my own space. I am free to do whatever I want to do and not have people judge me. In a way, I feel like my dorm sees me at my worst and at my best because my day is started in my dorm once I wake up. The tone is always different every day because with a new day comes a new attitude. We may not feel the same way we did yesterday because some event in some way, shape, or form changed that. I feel that where you lay your head is an important place and when inviting someone in, they are expected to follow specific guidelines. If I am in someone else's space, I would behave in a manner that I wouldn't normally behave in if I was in my dorm. During the week, I can say that the way my floor mates behave during the week is totally different than how they behave on the weekend. The tone or aura is totally different because of course that is when the parties start and the alcohol gets the best of them. It is actually kind of funny because I see different sides of people that I never knew, but it still does not change my viewing of the person. A lot of the activities I do are through my dorm. For example, I am a Christian and I attend bible study weekly, but I also meet people through events in Drackett. This will benefit me because this allows me to become a well-rounded human being and work with different types of people. I am not very subject to change as far as my location, so I typically stay in my dorm and chill.

-Shaniqua <3

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoy your dorm! My best friend lives in Drackett so I've been there a lot. Actually, it looks rather new to me! It was build in 1965 according to http://herrick.knowlton.ohio-state.edu/building/drackett-tower. I agree with you that our dorms do see us at our worst and at our best! That is a fun way to look at it, if our dorm was a person, he/she would know us maybe even better than a lot of our friends do, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lirpa,

    You are correct and thanks for the information because I did not know how old Drackett actually was. Does your best friend enjoy Drackett as well ? Well since you've visited Drackett before you can now even visit me if you want a new friend hahah! My dorm would be so friendly if it were a person because I do everything there from homework to makeup!

    -Shaniqua <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. it reminds me of my high school when i read through your blog post. I stayed in the dorm when i was in high school. although there were lots of rules and regulations thats i has to follow but yeah i missed that now. I cant deny that im freely movable as i now living off campus yet the freedom that i am having sometimes make me stress out as i have to do everything on my own. for example, previously i did not have to pay monthly bills on my own as i stayed in dorm but now everything is on my own shoulder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Manida,

    Awww that is a bummer, but atleast your taking responsibility now because I don't know what I would do if I had to pay monthly bills. I guess I'd probably be homeless haha!! You guys had dorms in high school?? What high school did you go to? I think that there are rules and stuff but I am not too much of a rule breaker so they're fine by me.

    -Shaniqua<3

    ReplyDelete